Director concept was naturally bring to life Exhilo logo. There is a lot of possibility to do that: softbodies, cloths or even hand-keyframed bones, but our choice was particles, especially pflow box#2.
- Initially we model logo (from splines!).
- Then, every strand was divided in to smaller pieces. This was used as driving objects for particles.
- And here is a main trick: small proxy pieces was ported to pflow and used as glued objects. With all PhysX stuff, this allows us to drive every strand separate or even entire strands cluster.
- Tip: for smooth strands cluster movement, PhysX subframe factor must be set pretty high (in this example – 50)
- Finally, to reduce particles intercollisions errors and to fix some free space between divided parts, entire particle system was “skinned” on to hi-poly strands. This can be done by Particle Skinner or with 3dsmax standart Skin Wrap (if particles is baked to animated geometry).
Interesting thing that even splines can be used as skinned objects to particles, this open a new box of searching and researching new possibilities.
And here is a finished cake: